As we make our way through the bitter cold of February, we begin to dream of warmer days on the horizon. From cookouts to camping, spring signifies the beginning of clearer skies, warmer weather, and saying goodbye to snow. However, while you make plans for yourself and your family, now’s the time to start considering what the future holds for your next been renovation project! Are you finally going to put in that new deck you’ve always wanted? Is the time right to have your windows replaced? Whatever your plans may be, let the team at Doerr Siding and Window lend you a hand.
Where to Start?
Much can be done for your house, but how do you know which projects are the best to accomplish? By looking back on seasons past, you can quickly get an idea of where to start with your next home renovation. Here are a few questions you should ask yourself:
- How bad has winter been? – Have you had a challenging time keeping the temperature of your home consistent this winter? If so, you need to have a thorough inspection of your house’s systems and exterior features. Depending on what needs to be addressed can inform you on what your next project should be.
- What parts of your home need updating? – Do you still have the original windows your home was built with? Or the same roof? For a home built a few years ago, this isn’t a problem. But for older homes, there might be areas that need more attention than others.
- What are you most looking forward to? – Is there something special you’ve wanted to do for your home for some time now? Perhaps you want to add some more light to your living room (a skylight or new windows). Or maybe you want a more comfortable place to lounge while outside (a new deck). Pick the project that most excites you this upcoming spring.
- How well are you doing with your finances? – The last year has been tough on everyone. However, there have still been opportunities for families to make or save more money. If you’re coming out of winter in decent financial shape, perhaps now’s the time to invest in a home-improvement project.
Popular Renovation Projects
You can keep a renovation project simple (fresh coat of paint) or go big (new roof installation). And whatever you decide to do, be sure it’s something that helps you and your family stay happy, healthy and safe all year long.
- Resurfacing a Driveway – The cold and moisture of winter can exasperate problems your driveway may have already had (such as cracks and potholes). Having a professional patch up and sealcoat your driveway is a simple and affordable undertaking.
- Painting a Room – Being stuck indoors all winter long means you’re ready for a change of pace! Why not freshen up your home with a new wall color? And whether you hire a professional painter or do the painting yourself, you’ll be satisfied with the results.
- Adding or Repairing a Deck – If spending time outside is something you prefer, a deck is an absolute must for those wishing to enjoy the warmth of spring and summer. And renovation projects could be as easy as staining or repairing a current deck, or more extensive, like having a new deck installed from the ground up.
- Fixing a Roof – If you’ve noticed shingles missing on your roof or have begun to see wet spots on your ceiling, your roof might need fixing. And with the right contractors, they can patch your roof up or wholly replace if such a step is necessary.
- Replacing Windows – It’s challenging to replace your windows any other time of year, as you risk letting cold temperatures or stormy weather into your home. However, while the weather is pleasant, consider switching out your old windows for modern, more energy-efficient ones.
- Redoing Siding – Both from the standpoint of protecting your home and improving your house’s curb appeal, new siding is the way to go. Modern siding options allow for incredible insulation (keeping your home’s temperature consistent) and come in all colors and styles.
- Cleaning or Fixing Gutters – Did your gutters have trouble keeping water and melting snow away from your home? If so, now’s the time to address this issue before “April Showers” bring you more problems. And whether the issue is a clogged downspout or leaky gutters, let a professional take a look.
How Your Home Can Benefit
Not only do renovation projects feel great to complete, but they all positively impact you and your family.
- Save Energy – Old and damaged roofs, siding and windows can contribute significantly to energy loss in your home. The more air that escapes your house, the harder your air conditioning or heating must work to make up the difference, thus costing you more on your energy bills.
- Stay Healthy – Any number of factors can negatively impact the health of yourself and your family. For example, a leaky roof can lead to mold growth, which produces potentially toxic allergens. Or, having a draft come through your windows can lead to chilly temperatures, making your household more susceptible to illness.
- Promote Happiness – Sometimes, all it takes is a simple change of pace to improve your household’s overall happiness. A new room color or a freshly stained deck are examples of simple changes that can promote happiness. And naturally, saving money and staying healthy means you stay in higher spirits.
The Help You Need
Don’t let the year get away from you without starting your next big renovation project! If looking for professional guidance on how to improve your home best this season, give the experts at Doerr Siding & Window a call today. With products and services related to doors, roofing, siding, gutters, windows and more, we can help you achieve your remodeling goals, no matter how big or small. To learn more, contact us today at 309-694-9561. Also, we are located at 603 Pinecrest Dr, East Peoria, IL 61611.